Chocolate is the new black; Brooklyn still in the league? (1934)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu May 19 18:34:05 UTC 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 1:02 AM, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
> Subject:      Chocolate is the new black; Brooklyn still in the
> league? (1934)
> --------
>
> CHOCOLATE IS THE NEW BLACK
> I just saw this at the Godiva chocolate store. The saying has been
> around a
> while.

I recall a fashion-advertising slogan from the '50's which stated that
"Black is the ace of shades." It was rather weird, given that "shades"
and "fades" are BVE slang terms for black people and white people,
resp.

-Wilson