Hypercorrection?

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri May 20 23:08:25 UTC 2005

Wilson,

Where you stress 'employee'? For me, nuclear is on 'ploy' and
secondary on 'ee,' cept when I'm in deep hillbilly mode, then all
stress floats to the front -  /IM-ploy-ee/ (still secondary on -ee).

dInIs

PS: Don't mess wif my /E/ -> /I/ fore a nasal. I might have to come
down and look you up like you threatened poor ole what's-his-name.

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu