Emoticon; "Creativity is no substitute for knowing what you are doing" (1982)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 22 09:53:46 UTC 2005

"CREATIVITY IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE DOING"
I was looking for "emoticon" when I found this quote in the 1982  passage:
_http://groups-beta.google.com/group/net.works/msg/35a7598e05d9a09b_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/net.works/msg/35a7598e05d9a09b)
"Creativity is no substitute for knowing what you're doing."
(GOOGLE)
_Unknown_ (http://www.tomstrong.org/quotes/q_Unknown.html)
... Creativity  is no substitute for knowing what you’re doing. -  Unknown.
Discretely quantized, (adj): covertly flown on an Australian airline  -
Unknown ...
www.tomstrong.org/quotes/q_Unknown.html - 54k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:SvlE6lezYLIJ:www.tomstrong.org/quotes/q_Unknown.html+"creativ
ity+is+no+substitute+for"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_ (http://www.goog
le.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.tomstrong.org/quotes/q_Unknown.h
tml)
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
    _On  the floor of summer USENIX 83_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/net.usenix/browse_thread/thread/580ed8fe8af4ad96/31f63ee8bc33675a?q="creativity
+is+no+substitute+for"&rnum=152&hl=en#31f63ee8bc33675a)
... in a world where  some people seem to find it easier to pogram than to
think about
what  they are trying to do: "Creativity is no  substitute for knowing what
you ...
_net.usenix_ (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/net.usenix?hl=en)  - Jul 20
1983, 11:26 am  by m... at ucbvax.UUCP - 11 messages - 11 authors

   _protecting  kmem_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/net.unix-wizards/browse_thread/thread/387f302bb52785e5/13b2f9f48d114983?q="creativity+is+no+subst
itute+for"&rnum=153&hl=en#13b2f9f48d114983)
... necessary to read kmem for this particular  task. "Creativity is no
substitute
for knowing what you're doing." Henry Spencer  U of Toronto
_net.unix-wizards_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/net.unix-wizards?hl=en)  - Dec 29  1982, 7:26 pm by utzoo!he... - 1 message - 1 author
EMOTICON
_http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/magazine/22ONLANGUAGE.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/magazine/22ONLANGUAGE.html) ?
I have been following this popular phrase closely (it's had more than  27,000
citations since Google started counting it) because of an interest in
''emoticons,'' a word coined in 1987.
The above is from William Safire's column today. Yes, Merriam-Webster has
1987. But emoticons were used in 1982. Are we certain that it took five years to
 coin the word?
I looked at "emoticon" on Answers.com. My work is presented without credit.
:(
_http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=1t1c3iq4rkr7q?method=4&dsid=22
22&dekey=Emoticon&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&sbid=lc03a_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery;jsessionid=1t1c3iq4rkr7q?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Emoticon&gwp=8&curt
ab=2222_1&sbid=lc03a)
emoticon
(EMOTional ICON) Also called a "smiley" or "smiley face," it is  an
expression of emotion typed into a message using standard keyboard  characters. The
following examples are viewed sideways. Tilt your head down  toward your left
shoulder. IBM researcher Scott Fahlman is credited with typing  the first smiley
face in an online message on September 19, 1982. See _emotag_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=1512&dekey=emotag&gwp=8&curtab=1512_1)  and
_alphanumerish_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=1512&dekey=alphanumerish&gwp=8&curtab=1512_1) .
The first known instance of using text characters to represent a sideways
smiling (and frowning) face is in a _newspaper_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Newspaper&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1)  _advertisement_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Advertising&gwp=8
&curtab=2222_1)  in the _New York Herald Tribune_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=New+York+Herald+Tribune&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1)
 , _March 10_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=March+10&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1) , _1953_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=1953&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1) , on page 20, columns 4–6.
Promoting the film _Lili_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Lili&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1) , starring _Leslie Caron_
(http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Leslie+Caron&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1) ,
the ad read as follows:
Today

You'll laugh :)

You'll cry :(

You'll love [Heart-shaped face]

_Lili_

The film opened nationwide, so the ad may have run in many  newspapers.