Mexican Fried Ice Cream (1981); Bloomberg's daughter, the Horse Jumper

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 23 03:59:34 UTC 2005

BLOOMBERG'S DAUGHTER, THE HORSE JUMPER
I just read the following in the local Clinton Chronicle (Hell's Kitchen).  The late David Shulman would always say that Steve Brodie was a Bridge Jumper, but he in fact jumped OVER no bridges.
Does Mayor Bloomberg's daughter jump over horses? Does she jump FROM horses? So how is she a horse Jumper if the horses do the jumping??
http://www.newyorkgames.org/news/archives/004954.html
Good Lord! Bloomberg Said It Again!
Cites His Daughter The Horse Jumper As Reason For Olympics
Clinton Chronicle
As we reported a couple of months ago, when pressed for a reason to bring the Olympics to NYC in 2012, Mayor Bloomberg has a habit of saying that it would be a good thing for his daughter. Last month when he went to Berlin in a last ditch effort to pitch the idea, Bloomberg told the assembled representatives:
"...[M]y own daughter, Georgina, trained six hours a day for the chance to compete in equestrian at the Beijing Games. Maybe it's just a father's pride, but my dream is to watch her compete in New York four years later."
What a stunningly egocentric man.
MEXICAN FRIED ICE CREAM
I ate at El Azteca Mexican Restaurant, 783 Ninth Avenue (Corner 52nd Street). Fried ice cream was on the dessert list (but I had the "sopapilla" instead).
The first ProQuest cite is the New York Times in 1981, but it mentions the Los Angeles Times. I guess we have to wait until ProQuest finishes the latter for the 1970s.
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/7035/icecream.html
Chi-Chi’s Mexican Fried Ice Cream
½ cup vegetable oil
2 flour tortillas, 6 inch each
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tbs. sugar
¼ cup cornflake crumbs
2 large scoops vanilla ice cream
whipped cream in a can
2 maraschino cherries with stems
optional toppings: honey, chocolate syrup, strawberries
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Letters to the Editor; Arctic Highway Desert Trek The Berkshires What's in a Name Fried Ice Cream
GILBERT M. ERSKINEKATHARINE HERBERJANE MARCHAMJOHN ASLANDARLENE GEISJEROME WOODSHERBERT HELFGOTT. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Aug 2, 1981. p. XX24 (1 page) :
I thought he and the subsequent letter-writers might like to know that there is a recipe for fried Mexican ice cream in "The Los Angeles Times Californian Cookbook," which will be published by Harry N. Abrams of New York in September.
Since I (Darlene Geis, New York - ed.) am the editor of the book, I am able to enclose a copy of the recipe so that your globe-trotting readers will be able to enjoy it right in their own backyards.
Here it is:
1 pint vanilla or other flavor ice cream
1/2 cups crushed cornflakes or cookie crumbs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons sugar
1 egg
Oil for deep frying