Mexican Fried Ice Cream (1981); Bloomberg's daughter, the Horse Jumper

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTKUX.UTCC.UTK.EDU
Mon May 23 08:00:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 22 May 2005 bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>Does Mayor Bloomberg's daughter jump over horses? Does she jump FROM
horses? So how is she a horse Jumper if the horses do the jumping??

Horse jumper is not, so far as I know, a term used by individuals who jump
horses. But of course the horses jump at the bidding/urging/command of the
riders, so it makes sense, I think, for us to speak of jumping horses,
meaning to ride in such a fashion as to occasionally instruct/urge/order
horses to jump over obstacles.

Bethany