Re:       Re: Origin of word "redskin"

Fri May 27 19:26:33 UTC 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Ron Butters wrote:

> In a message dated 5/26/05 1:57:32 PM, flanigan at OHIOU.EDU writes:
>
>> Ron, I hope you'll pass this on to the very pompous Frank DeFord.
>> I was
>> also skeptical about the claimed etymology, as I am about much of
>> what he
>> says.
>
> Who is Frank DeFord and why should anyone pay any attention to what
> he says?
> He is not a member of ADs or DSNA.

he's a versatile sportswriter (senior editor at Sports Illustrated,
among other things) and general writer (novels, plus Alex: The Life
of a Child, about his daughter alexandra, who died at age 8 from
cystic fibrosis).  i certainly wouldn't have called him pompous.

he's of concern to us because he's very visible publicly (and much
admired), he's a thoughtful and sensible person, and he's just said
something wrong about English.

he was a year ahead of me at princeton, and i remember him as being a
nice guy.  (he was friends with my roommate, but he and i were barely
acquainted, and i doubt he'd have any recollection of me -- just in
case someone was going to suggest that *i* write him.)

a letter to NPR, from ron butters or geoff nunberg (or *someone*
who's looked at the facts), would be appropriate, though.

arnold