Re:       Re: Origin of word "redskin"

Fri May 27 19:31:27 UTC 2005

On May 27, 2005, at 12:21 PM, Ron Butters wrote, re Geoff Nunberg's
Language Log piece on Frank Deford:

> Even if I agreed that forcing the Washington Redskins to change
> their name
> would be "good work," I must disagree strongly that spreading an
> obvious lie can
> do good work for any cause, however passionately one might feel
> about it.

"obvious lie" is too strong, on both counts.  the claim about
etymology is false, but not a lie, and its falsity is scarcely
obvious to many intelligent people.

but "falsehood" would be appropriate, and i'd agree with others here
that spreading falsehoods, even for good causes, is generally a bad
thing.

arnold