Bad SF lexicon

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Sun Nov 6 23:12:30 UTC 2005

--- Damien Hall <halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU> wrote:

> Just a bit of data for you, Jeff;  if you're doing your SF dictionary from
> entirely 'legit' SF sources, this may come from outside your purview.

I'll take citations from any old place I can find 'em.  Indeed, I'm very
interested to see where SF terms cross over into other lexicons, although in
this case I'd be inclined to think of Koontz as being more or less within the
fold, since if memory serves he's written a few other  SF novels.  At any rate,
I'm glad to see another example of this extended use.  Without knowning where
the aliens are from, you couldn't really call what they're doing
"Procyoforming" or whatever, so calling it "terraforming" makes some sense (if
you can let go of the etymology, anyway), although I rather like
"reverse-terraforming."

Jeff Prucher