FW: Re: "fiend": in anyone's active vocab?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 10 18:20:13 UTC 2005

There is, I think, "coffee fiend" in "Barnaby", by Crockett Johnson,
1943.  (Barnaby, Mr. O'Malley, and their ghost friend are
investigating a house supposed to be haunted, and think they've come
upon coffee fiends.  Actually, they are wartime black marketeers,
trafficking in coffee.

Joel