OT: NYC song from Madonna

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 16 16:13:06 UTC 2005

Forget about it.--Barry Popik
_http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/_
(http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/)

_Madonna May Love New York, But What’s The Official Anthem?_
(http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/2005/11/16/madonna-may-love-new-york-but-what’
s-the-official-anthem/)
Madonna’s new song “I Love New York” is, says _Gawker_
(http://www.gawker.com/news/madonna/madonna-pens-the-new-new-york-anthem-137481.php) , the “perfect
anthem” for New York (though Wonkster  realizes this is hip talk for “
dreadful”), and then reprints the lyrics:
I don’t like cities but I like New York
Other places make me feel like  a dork
Los Angeles is for people who sleep
Paris and London, baby you can  keep
Other cities always make me mad
Other places always make me sad
No  other made me glad, except New York
I love New York
This begs the question – what is New York’s official anthem?
_The Politicker_
(http://www.observer.com/thepoliticker/2005/05/mp3-exclusive-new-nyc-song.html)  and the world-renowned _NYC administrative law judge and
Big Apple enthusiast Barry Popik_
(http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/2005/11/02/“big-apple”
-origins-solved-manhattan-borough-president-mystery-intensifies/)   both have said that it’s_ New York For The Time Of Your Life_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/814/new-york-for-the-time-of-your-life-2005)
, by Frank Wildhorn, who wrote  the Broadway musicals “Jekyll and Hyde” and “
Dracula”, and that the lyrics go  like this:
It’s a great front row seat for the world at your feet
It’s the Yankees  and Knicks, the Rockettes doin’ kicks.
You can sail Sheepshead Bay, see a  show on Broadway.
It’s Fifth Avenue, plenty to see and do. …
New York, New  York …
Winter, spring, summer, fall
Baby we’ve got it all!
New York,  anytime of year
New York, it’s all happening here
New York, for the time  of your life!
You can shop ‘til you drop, live your life to the  top.
Double header at Shea, somethin’ new every day.
It’s the lights in  Times Square, the moments you share.
Summer breaks. Paint the town – paint it  up, paint it down.
Take the ferry to Staten from lower Manhattan. It’s a  bagel and schmear, it’
s a whole other gear.
It’s a hot dog from Coney, a  waiter named Tony. Yellow cabs, limousines. It’
s the subway to Queens. It’s so  nice, see it twice, paradise by the slice,
Brooklyn Heights, The Bronx Zoo,  somethin’ old, somethin’ new
I love New York, baby … come paint the town
Others, however, say it’s “New York, New York,” which was written by John
Kander and Fred Ebb for Martin Scorsese’s 1977 film of the same name and which
former Mayor Ed Koch proclaimed the city’s official song in 1985. The lyrics,
as  modified by Frank Sinatra, who made it a hit when he recorded it in 1980,
go  like this:
Start spreadin’ the news, I’m leavin’ today
I want to be a part of it,  New York, New York
These vagabond shoes are longing to stray
Right through  the very heart of it, New York, New York
I wanna wake up in a city that doesn’t sleep
And find I’m king of the  hill, top of the heap
These little town blues are melting away
I’ll make a brand new start of  it, in old New York
If I can make it there, I’ll make it anywhere
It’s up  to you , New York, New York
New York, New York
I want to wake up in a city that never sleeps
And find I’m A-number-one,  top of the list,
King of the hill, A-number-one
These little town blues are melting away
I’m gonna make a brand new start  of it in old New York
A-a-a-nd if I can make it there, I’m gonna make it  anywhere
It’s up to you, New York, New York
But then what about Leonard Bernstein, Betty Comden, and Adolph Green’s _New
York, New York (It’s A Helluva Town)_
(http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/onthetown/newyorknewyork.htm) , or Billy Joel’s _New York State Of Mind_
(http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/New-York-State-Of-Mind-lyrics-Billy-Joel/388BB5E978D
09B074825687000242DC5)  or Norah Jones’s _“New York City (Such A Beautiful
Disease)” _
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/331/new-york-city-such-a-beautiful-disease) ?By Jonathan | November 16, 2005, 7:09 am
Posted in _Gotham City_
(http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/category/gotham-city/) , _Arts_
(http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/category/arts/)  | _trackback_
(http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/2005/11/16/madonna-may-love-new-york-but-what’s-the-official-anthem/trackback/)   | _1
Comment »_
(http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/2005/11/16/madonna-may-love-new-york-but-what’s-the-official-anthem/#comments)

_http://www.observer.com/thepoliticker/2005/05/mp3-exclusive-new-nyc-song.html
_
(http://www.observer.com/thepoliticker/2005/05/mp3-exclusive-new-nyc-song.html)

MP3 EXCLUSIVE: New NYC Song

In our first New York  Observer .mp3 _exclusive_
(http://www.observer.com/thepoliticker/sound/newyork.mp3) , we invite you to hum along with  Frank
Wildhorn, the poppy Broadway composer commissioned to brand New York as a  tuneful
and Tony (wait for the last verse) kind of town. The ambitious anthem, with
lyrics by Jack Murphy,  is destined for national airtime on television
commericals, in remixed  adaptations that may include rap, salsa, and country western.

Posted by Jess _5/11/2005 03:02:00 PM_
(http://www.observer.com/thepoliticker/2005/05/mp3-exclusive-new-nyc-song.html)