jump = copulate with?

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Fri Nov 18 01:46:35 UTC 2005

This suggestion sounds doubtful to me:  there seems to be an ancient  custom
of a couple performing their wedding by jumping over an object  together.
Then, if "to jump" means "to wed", further sexual meanings are  not impossible.

I have heard of this custom exactly twice, both times in science fiction
novels.  One was Heinlein's _Glory Road_ and the other was Bujold's _The
Hallowed Hunt_.  In the first case the object jumped over was a sword and  in the
second a flagstaff---both being obvious phallic symbols for those to  whom
phallic symbols are obvious.

Was Wilson Gray making or overlooking a play on words when he juxtaposed
"rams...jumping sheep" and "two ships passing in the night"?

         - James A.  Landau