connectivity?

James Knight jlk at 3GECKOS.NET
Fri Nov 18 20:35:03 UTC 2005

FWIW,

...The topological concept illustrated by the
Möbius strip and Klein bottle is that of
connectivity. Connectivity was among the ideas
formalized by the French mathematician
Jules-Henri Poincaré (1854-1912) in 1895 in a
series of papers called Analysis situs
("Positional Analysis"). Poincaré was among the
first to use the tools of algebra in topology.
[CALVO, SHERRI CHASIN. "Topology: The Mathematics
of Form." Science and Its Times: Understanding
the Social Significance of Scientific Discovery.
Eds. Josh Lauer and Neil Schlager. Vol. 5: 1800
To 1899. Detroit: Gale, 2000. 203-205. 8 vols.
Gale Virtual Reference Library. Thomson Gale.
Trial Site Database. 18 November 2005]

The leap from graph theory to descriptions of
electronic (read: internet) network analogs is no
stretch, IMHO. Nothing in the hacker's glossary, however.

-jk

At 11:18 AM 11/18/2005, you wrote:
>---------------------- Information from the mail
>header -----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
>Subject:      connectivity?
>
>An email from our Technology Support Center:
>
>The District is experiencing intermittent Internet connectivity issues.
>We have are working on this issue and we will
>send a follow up email once this has been resolved.
>
>I have never heard "connectivity".  Is this a
>new invention?  Or am I just behind the times (again)?
>fritz

"I'm James Knight, and I approve this message"
  jlk at 3geckos.net
  360 378 8956
  80 Wildflower Lane
  Friday Harbor, WA 98250