Not in DARE

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Sat Nov 19 11:32:01 UTC 2005

Wilson,

If you had checked the AHD, you would have found "a narrow
passageway" (not restricted to nautical use), a meaning I have found
all over the US. Maybe your wife is from the suburbs or countryside
and lacks knowledge of urban terminology.

The space between the sidewalk and the street is another matter, with
considerable variation (including "nothing").

dInIs

preston at msu.edu