"So I says to myself" redux

Tue Nov 22 02:16:01 UTC 2005

Quoting Benjamin Zimmer <bgzimmer at ling.upenn.edu>:

> Following up on the discussion of "So I says to myself, 'Self...'" on ADS-L
> in September, see this Language Log post:
>
> http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/002658.html

One of the LL readers emails a tip about an appearance of "I said to myself,
'Self...'" predating the 1981 Boston Globe cite found by John Baker. The
tipster believes that it appeared on a '60s recording of Bill Cosby's standup
act. Others also remember Cosby using it:

-----
http://www.usm.maine.edu/~com/intrabook/part3~1.html
Years ago Bill Cosby had a comedy routine which portrayed self-talk very
humorously with the line, "So, I said to myself, 'Self'. . ."
-----
http://www.swordofthespirit.org/teachings/transcript/3223.html
I like that Bill Cosby record, you remember that? Where he, "I said to myself,
‘Self.’"
-----

Does anyone recall the Cosby routine or know how it might be tracked down?

--Ben Zimmer