"We don't serve Negroes"/"I don't eat them"; Slang in today's METRO

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 30 22:05:20 UTC 2005

"WE DON'T SERVE NEGROES/"I DON'T EAT THEM"
The late baseball player Vic Power has some colorful phrases associated  with
him.
30 November 2005, NY Daily News, "Vic Power loses fight vs. cancer," pg.  76,
col. 2:
"The lady said, 'We don't serve Negroes,'" Power said from his home in
Arecibo, Puerto Rico. "I said, 'I don't eat Negroes, I want rice and  beans.'"
_'How  Fast is Slow, Baby?'; Good-by, Mr. Bones Good-by, Mr. Bones _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=87364102&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD
&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1133387514&clientId=65882)
By JOSEPH BOSKIN. New York Times  (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: May 1,
1966. p. 259 (6 pages)
Third page?:
"Hey man. I sat down in Kress's and the white waitress told me: 'We don't
serve Negroes.' I told her that was good 'cause I don't eat them."
30 November 2005, NY Post, "Vic Power dead at 78," pg. 73:
"I did everything they wanted me to do, except mow the lawn," he  added.
SLANG IN "METRO"
See the free Metro, November 30, pg. 12:
_This slang should leave "the building"_
_Some over-used phrases have lost their edge and are, like, totally  over_
(...)
"In the building"...
"What's really good"...
"Do the damn thing"...
"It's ya boy/Holla at ya boy"...
"Bling bling"
(...)
SLANG HALL OF FAME
"Fresh"
"Bet"
"Dope"
"CREAM"
The South and the West Coast had "scrilla," and the Bay Area's Oakland had
"feddy," but in New York, "Cash Rules Everything Around Me."