Hamburgers (1883)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Nov 30 23:41:27 UTC 2005

I got stopped in the street and was asked by someone from Japanese
television about "hamburgers." So I said that it's good you asked that, I'm  Barry
Popik...
I don't think I posted this article, originally from the New York  Sun.
_NOT  EATEN ON THE PREMISES.; Hamburg Steaks and Pork Chops Which Cost but
Little and  Are in Great Demand. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=589142572&SrchMode=1&sid=7&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1133
393507&clientId=65882)
Boston Daily Globe  (1872-1960). Boston, Mass.: Apr 29, 1883. p. 11 (1 page)
(New York Sun)
"Give me six Hamburgers, four chops, half a pound of sliced ham and five
cents' worth of pickles," said a bareheaded girl, as she entered a small store
that stands near a towering cigar factory on Second Avenue.
(...)
"Those flat, brown meat cakes on that dish there are Hamburg steaks; the
people call them 'Hamburgers.' They are made from raw meat chopped up with
onions and spices, and are very good."