man+(noun) combin ing form

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Oct 4 11:04:59 UTC 2005

I remember such use from the Louisville area but hardly belive it was
very local. I also remember its being very common with a
definitivizer in such expressions as "Our colored man did it" or
"I'll call the colored man and ask him to do it." This specific use
would rather obviously have developed from such uses as "They had a
colored man (woman) to help them out." Forestress was the rule
(except, as always, when used emphatically/contrastively).

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor