Chinese "kanji"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 6 14:25:11 UTC 2005

Back in the '50's and '60's in  L.A. - or perhaps still; I haven't
been there in decades - there were three Japanese bars: the Papa Lion,
the Mama Lion, and the Baby Lion, with the names spelling out in neon
Japanese characters that I assumed  for over a decade were the
Japanese words equivalent to the English words.

After a couple of courses in Japanese at U.C.L.A., I was disappointed
to discover that the characters were katakana and merely spelled out
"pa-pa-ra-i-on," "ma-ma-ra-i-on," and "be-bi-ra-i-on." Oh, well.

FWIW, there's an area in downtown L.A. known to the hoi polloi as
"Little Tokyo." However, my Japanese-American friends always refer to
this area as "Japanese Town."

-Wilson Gray

--
-Wilson Gray