"Don't get mad, get even" (Boston, 1967); "Reformer who gets results" (2000); Big Easy; Virgin paper

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 4 17:05:00 UTC 2005

Here's some stuff for the American Dialect Society and for some NYC newspapers and blogs.
--Barry Popik, friendly etymologist/lawyer/judge/chess master/Manhattan Borough President candidate
BIG EASY
There was no "Big Easy" dance hall in the early 1900s and certainly not one in the "19th century." "Big Easy" was coined in the 1960s and popularized by the novel of that name in the early 1970s. It's a take-off on "the Big Apple," as I've said many times. I've sent unpublished corrections to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution before. You try.
(FACTIVA)
Metro News
Q&A
639 words
The Atlanta Journal - Constitution
E2

Q: When I arrived in Atlanta on a Delta flight from St. Thomas last week, a truck rolled up on the tarmac and sprayed our airplane with water. A flight attendant said it was a traditional way to honor retiring pilots on their last trip. What is the origin of this wonderful tribute?
--- Sheryl Franklin, Smyrna