Fwd: cubic gallons

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 25 03:28:02 UTC 2005

On 9/24/05, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Fwd: cubic gallons
>
> At 5:23 PM -0700 9/24/05, Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:
> >apparently, this went only to Wilson...
> >
> >Begin forwarded message:
> >
> >>From: "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu>
> >>Date: September 22, 2005 11:48:23 AM PDT
> >>To: Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com>
> >>Subject: Re: cubic gallons

> >>i was about to post something similar.  "metric X", where X is a
> >>unit in some non-metric system of measurement, has a fairly easy-to-
> >>interpret meaning, namely 'measure close to and therefore analogous
> >>to X in the metric system'.
> >>
> >>i'm still baffled by "cubic gallon" and "cubic liter", however.
> >>maybe "cubic" is supposed to convey 'measure of volume', in which
> >>case the expressions are pleonastic  -- but sometimes people like
> >>to pile on extra reminders of meaning.
> >>
> >>the meanings analogous to "square acre" 'something that is both an
> >>acre (in area) and a square (in shape)' -- namely 'something that
> >>is both a gallon/liter (in volume) and a cube (in shape)'
>
> Yes, but as noted, "square acre(s)" *very* rarely has that meaning;
> it's much more often simply pleonastic.  I take it to be a phrasal
> analogue to "unthaw", "unloosen", "debone", and other cases of
> redundant morphology when the formally redundant addition makes the
> meaning clear (viz. that we're talking privative actions,
> two-dimensional figures, or volumes, as the case may be).   Plus in
> the case of "square acre"

Sigh! Is anyone else old enough to remember when any elementary-school
child knew that 640 acres <=> one square mile and it never occurred to
anyone that either the 640 acres or the square mile had to be
*literally* square in shape? And nobody was under the impression that
"rectangle" was the word for "oblong"?

-Wilson

, that assimilates this case to others like

--
-Wilson Gray