(Plank) Spanker (an acoustic musician)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 25 16:28:25 UTC 2005

I came across the Spankers. I don't know what the HDAS has for
"plank-spanker" and "spanker," but perhaps our new access to Rolling Stone and  other
publications could help.
POLITICKING OT: What a tough week. I went to two "friend-raisers" for Mayor
Mike. One was at the Vincent Albano Republican Club, and another was in
someone's home at Trump World Tower. I went to a packed Republican Jewish
Committee meeting at the Safra Synagogue, then a packed Young Republicans event  at
Chelsea Piers. I handed out hundreds of cards and contributions cards. I
checked my P.O. box. My total take--$0!
Then, my opponent appeared on NY1 "The Road to City Hall." My name was not
mentioned. The host declared that my opponent was a "shoo-in" and faces "token
opposition." The host laughed and said "I can't call you Manhattan Borough
President yet, but..." I wrote in and demanded equal time. Nothing. Heck, I
should have been on NY1 for "the Big Apple" fifteen years ago!
(GOOGLE)
_Bluesy roots_
(http://www.nj.com/entertainment/ledger/index.ssf?/base/entertainment-0/1125639903218410.xml&coll=1)
Newark Star Ledger, NJ -  <NOBR>Sep 1,
... based, seven-piece band, which  performs at Joe's Pub in New York Sunday,
has ... The last  album by the Spankers -- slang for energetic acoustic
musicians -- was  ...
_Temple of Blues: Instrument  Slang_
(http://www.templeofblues.com/agora/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000044)
... that  calling a guitar player a "plank spanker" was pretty  ... Another
instrument slang
question: What  is a "bullet" as ... a very special kind of  acoustic guitar
made ...
www.templeofblues.com/agora/  ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000044 - 81k
- Supplemental Result - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:fykEInWql88J:www.templeofblues.com/agora/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000044+spa
nker+acoustic+slang&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&q=related:www.templeofblues.com/agora/ulti
matebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000044)
_Eugene Weekly : Music : 08.07.03_
(http://www2.eugeneweekly.com/2003/080703music.html)
... that once boasted a row of state mental hospitals and added  "spanker,"
slang
for a musician who "can play an  acoustic instrument both loud and well. ...
www2.eugeneweekly.com/2003/080703music.html -  30k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:ICFwas6TvUEJ:www2.eugeneweekly.com/2003/080703music.html+
spanker+acoustic+slang&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&q=related:www2.eugeneweekly.com/2003/08
0703music.html)
_phoenixnewtimes.com | Asylum Street Spankers (Printable) |  2004-06-10_
(https://phx.secure.newtimes.com/issues/2004-06-10/music/livewire5_print.html)
Jazz and swing at the core, the Spankers  (a "spanker" is slang for someone
who
plays an acoustic  instrument) will dip into any genre, turning rap songs and
https://phx.secure.newtimes.com/
issues/2004-06-10/music/livewire5_print.html - 5k - Supplemental Result - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:FkyqT7qxOq0J:https://phx.secure.newtimes.com/issues/2004-06-10/music/livewire5_p
rint.html+spanker+acoustic+slang&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&q=related:https://phx.secure.
newtimes.com/issues/2004-06-10/music/livewire5_print.html)
_wired_ (http://wired.idoneos.com/)
... played or mentioned (whether it be acoustic, solidbody  electric, ... the
obsessive
heart of any plank-spanker worthy  of the name) is not to be missed. ...
wired.idoneos.com/ - 107k - _Cached_
(http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:lZsi372QztYJ:wired.idoneos.com/+spanker+acoustic+slang&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  -
_Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&q=related:wired.idoneos.com/)