What is (e.g.) "danged --> hanged" called?

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Sep 25 16:49:28 UTC 2005

        Original message from Joel S. Berson, Sept. 25, 2005:
> If it were the case that the expression "I'll be hanged if I know why" arose from "I'll be danged if I know why" (or vice versa, I suppose), what would that process be called by grammarians?

* * *

          It's vice versa. "I'll be danged" probably derives from a blending of "I'll be damned" and "I'll be hanged," and the linguistic term for this feature is "a blend." Also, linguists distinguish between "lexical blends" (e.g. "splotch" from "blotch" and "spot" and "syntactic blends" (e.g. "time and again" (from "time after time" and "again and again").

                "Danged" looks like a lexical blend.

        Gerald Cohen
        P.S. For syntactic blends there are two more terms: "contamination" and "anacoluthon."  I've done a lot of work on syntactic blends but offhand can't recall "contamination" and "anacoluthon" being applied to lexical blends too.