"I have no hair on my tongue"

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Thu Sep 29 13:02:58 UTC 2005

My Dominican partner says that she's never heard the expression
used before, but says that it sounds like something a Dominican
would say.  She plans to ask her mother about it.

Has your  fiance ever described someone with a huge appetite as
"eating like a termite?"  It didn't make sense to me at first,
because I think of a termite as something small that doesn't eat a
whole lot, but if you think about it, termites do eat a lot for their
size.

She also says of motor-mouths that they "talk through the elbows" -
- another Dominican expression.

Those loan-translations are a lot of fun, aren't they?  Dominicans
really seem to love speaking in metaphor.

Joanne

On 28 Sep 2005, at 23:07, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

> NO HAIR ON MY TONGUE--94 Google hits, 1 Google Groups hits
> My Domincan girlfriend/fiance told me that she had no hair on her tongue. I
> said that was good.
> Is this Hispanic? Does Fred Shapiro have it? OED?
> (GOOGLE)
> _Hispanic Business Forums - Health Tip: Are You at Risk for  ..._
> (http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3324)
> I HAVE AN OLD SAYING I SAY AT TIMES, IT  IS: " I'VE GO NO HAIR ON MY TONGUE.
> "
> WHICH MEANS WHY BE AFRAID TO SAY WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND? ...
> www.hispanicbusiness.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3324 - 76k - _Cached_
> (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:AlOv4uneBtMJ:www.hispanicbusiness.com/forum/to
> pic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3324+"no+hair+on+my+tongue"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar
> pages_
> (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.hispanicbusiness.com/forum/topic.a
sp?TOPIC_ID=3324)
> _Rate  Hispanic - The Hispanic HOT or NOT site_
> (http://www.ratehispanic.com/view.php?i=11974)
> ... I  am currently so so SIINGLE.....lol uhm I am a real quiet, down to
> earth  shorty
> I have no hair on my tongue. I have  a real good head on my shoulder's....
> www.ratehispanic.com/view.php?i=11974 - 38k - Supplemental Result  - _Cached_
> (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:1SQYOWpeOgsJ:www.ratehispanic.com/view.p
> hp?i=11974+"no+hair+on+my+tongue"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
> (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.ratehispanic.com/view.ph
> p?i=11974)
> _Rate  Hispanic - The Hispanic HOT or NOT site_
> (http://www.ratehispanic.com/view.php?id=39612)
> ... i  love eatin my nani but if u stink trust me bitch you'll get smakced
> and  get
> kicked out The crib. i have No hair on my  tongue unless It's really mean. ...
> www.ratehispanic.com/view.php?id=39612 - 34k - Supplemental  Result -
> _Cached_
> (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:BzdwLDJl1tcJ:www.ratehispanic.com/view.php?id=39612+"no+hai
r+on+my+tongue"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
> (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.ratehispanic.com/view.
> php?id=39612)
> <NO
> _cPixEL ;] - purricanbeotch_
> (http://www.cpixel.com/searchp.asp?person=purricanbeotch)
> Im an  attitude filled, say whats on my mind, no hair on my  tongue, sailor
> mouth
> kind of girl....BBW (Big Beautiful Woman..) of  course I know when To act ...
> www.cpixel.com/searchp.asp?person=purricanbeotch - 15k -  Supplemental Result
> - _Cached_
> (http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:OOh__LR6tFUJ:www.cpixel.com/searchp.asp?person=purricanbeot
ch+"no+hair+on+my+tongue"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  -
> _Similar pages_
> (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.cpixel.com/searchp.asp?person=purr
icanbeotch)