Peasant? and Village?

Barbara Need nee1 at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Apr 11 17:47:32 UTC 2006

><<My wife's hometown of Oak Park, IL, (old stomping grounds of Ernest
>Hemingway and Frank Lloyd Wright) pointedly refers to itself as a "village."
>An upscale suburb of Chicago, it is a separate, incorporated municipality.
>Is "village" perhaps a legal designation for certain kinds of towns in
>Illinois?-- Charles Doyle >>
>
>That description in most of its particulars could describe my wife’s
>hometown of Swarthmore, PA, which until the consolidation movement of a
>generation ago had its own school system.  Villages are smaller than but not
>subordinate to townships, which are subdivisions of the county.  It is
>similar in New York, where I lived in the Village of Endicott and in the
>Village of Johnson City, but they call townships “towns”.

Well, and when I was a student in the college there (i.e., S'more),
the town was called "The Ville".

(Has anyone pointed out that "The Village" in NYC refers to Greenwich
Village? I was busy with a conference this weekend and zoomed through
the recent postings.)

Barbara

Barbara Need
UChicago