Peasant? and Village?

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Tue Apr 11 18:03:06 UTC 2006

On 11 Apr 2006, at 12:47, Barbara Need wrote:

> (Has anyone pointed out that "The Village" in NYC refers to Greenwich
> Village? I was busy with a conference this weekend and zoomed through
> the recent postings.)

Right -- talk about a nontraditional definition of "village"!

I suppose the word is also used quite loosely in all sorts of modern
real estate developments  -- like "Castle Village" (a big coop
complex in Washington Heights, NYC) and "Granite Village" (the
over-55  development where my parents live in Hampstead, NH).

Joanne