"Big Apple" whores are gone!! (the continuing saga)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Wed Apr 12 01:42:39 UTC 2006

     My thanks to Barry for drawing the item below to ads-l attention.  As for the material from Joe Zito, I'm less than impressed with it.  As Barry well knows, Peter Salwen perpetrated a hoax, and so anything else Salwen says is subject to suspicion too.

    It certainly took Joe Zito quite a while to come forward with his recollections.  And by the time he did, the material that Barry had collected on John J. Fitz Gerald was republished and in the public domain. My own guess is that if Zito really did have something worthwhile to say about "The Big Apple," he could have come forward with it any time in the 1970's or 1980's, when there was much speculation about the origin of the nickname.

    In any case, Zito's recent information adds nothing--absolutely nothing--to what Barry has already turned up about John J. Fitz Gerald and his use of "The Big Apple."

    This summer I hope to start compiling the second edition of my _Origin of New York City's Nickname "The Big Apple"_, with Barry listed as co-author this time as tribute to his very important contributions to the subject. I'll include a detailed discussion on Salwen's whore theory about the nickname.  Salwen may have decided to withdraw his hoax, but it's likely that the hoax will continue to have a life of its own.

Gerald Cohen

<snip>