"retroact(ive)", v. tr.

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Apr 25 18:02:32 UTC 2006

Speaking of Mike Francesa (source of my "anything's not gonna happen"
example a couple of hours ago), here he is on Mets' outfielder Carlos
Beltran, who hasn't been playing in the last few days and may have to
do onto the disabled list:

"If he can't play in the next few days they can retroact him."

--i.e. place him retroactively on the 21-day disabled list, so that
if he hasn't played in a week, say, at the time they put him on the
list, he just needs to spend another two weeks on the DL and they can
bring up another player to replace him on the roster for that period.
Francesa just floated the idea again but this time suggested that
"they can retroactive him".  I prefer "retroact" myself.

larry