The (holy) cow: Bossie or Bessie?

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Thu Apr 27 15:32:51 UTC 2006

And, of course, the name of the bull-love of Elsie's life
(or was he her brother?), was Elmer--a name now known to
glue-using school children who are oblivious of the Borden
dairy company's pre-diversification history.  In fact,
hasn't "elmer (or elmer's) glue" become a generic common
noun for the the white stuff?

--Charlie