'what everything' hypercorrection

Damien Hall halldj at BABEL.LING.UPENN.EDU
Tue Aug 1 18:02:27 UTC 2006

Speaking to a nurse who took my medical details this morning, I was struck by
something that she said once she had heard I was British (it doesn't take long)
and was telling me how she felt about Princess Diana:

'I really admired her, for what everything she went through.'

I took it to be a hypercorrection for *what all* = 'all that', 'everything
that', though in this case it's obviously difficult to rule out a false start
as well: 'for what ... [implied: for] everything she went through'.

I had never heard 'what everything' for 'what all' before.  Have other people?

Damien Hall
University of Pennsylvania