"Hot enough for you?" (1876, 1878, 1880)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Aug 2 02:26:04 UTC 2006

In a message dated 8/1/2006 10:12:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Bapopik at AOL.COM writes:
>I  found it in NewspaperArchive ("The Daily Miner," Montana (quoted  from
Boston "Journal"), 1882). Seems a cliche there  too.
Scot
>From American Historical  Newspapers:
29 June 1876, Wheeling (WV) Register, pg. 3:
IT is  bad enough to have the thermometer in the nineties, without being
obliged  to answer on every corner the imbecile greeting: "Is it hot enough
for
you  to-day?"
Make that 28 June 1876.
28 March 1915, Dallas Morning News, pg. 4:
_WAITERS' SLANG._
_Oddities of Restaurant Talk._
"Mutton broth in a hurry," says the customer. "Baa-baa in the rain! Make  him
run!" shouts the waiter.
"Beefsteak and onions," says the customer.
"John Bull! Make him a ginny!" shouts the waiter.
"Where's my baked potatoes?" asks a customer.
"Mrs. Murphy in a sealskin coat!" shouts the waiter.
"Two fried eggs. Don't fry 'em too hard," says a customer.
"Adam and Eve in the garden! Leave their eyes open!" shouts the  waiter.
"Poached eggs on toast," says the customer.
"Bride and groom on a raft in the middle of the ocean!" shouts the  waiter.
"Chicken croquets," says the customer.
"Fowl ball!" shouts the waiter.
"Hash," says the customer. "Gentleman wants to take a chance!" shouts the
waiter.
"I'll have hash, too," says the next customer.
"Another sport!" shouts the waiter.
"Glass of milk," says the customer.
"Let it rain," shouts the waiter.
"Frankfurter and sauerkraut, good and hot," says the customer.
"Fido, Shep and a bale of hay," shouts the waiter, "and let 'em  sizzle!"