'what everything' hypercorrection

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 4 01:21:27 UTC 2006

Isn't it also the case that expressions like "who-all" and "what all" are
basically considered to be countrified? When I hear, e.g. "I don't know what
all ..." Andy Griffith springs to mind.

-Wilson

On 8/1/06, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Arnold M. Zwicky" <zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: 'what everything' hypercorrection

> On Aug 1, 2006, at 2:34 PM, Bill Lemay wrote:
>
> >> I had never heard 'what everything' for 'what all' before.  Have
> >> other
> > people?
> >>
> >> Damien Hall
> >> University of Pennsylvania
> >
> > I have often heard it framed this way:
> >
> > 'I really admired her, what with everything she went through.'
>
> true enough, but the "what with" construction is a sentence-adverbial
> construction, not usable in the positions of the "what
> everything" (and "what all") constructions we've been looking at.
> and the "everything" here is not a fixed part of the construction,
> which can have almost *any* NP in this position:
>    what with the troubles (that) she had
>    what with the troubles that beset her
> the "what with" construction (or family of constructions) just
> happens to bear some superficial resemblances to the examples we've
> been looking at.
>
> arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)

Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out
the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon
them.

Frederick Douglass