Stephen King's grocery list (1992?)

Fri Aug 4 16:08:58 UTC 2006

>From the Afterword to _Different Seasons_, 1982.

"The result of all this is that, when it came to the novellas you've
just read, I found myself in a puzzling position.  I had gotten to a
place with my novels where people were saying King could publish his
laundry list if he wanted to (and there are critics who claim that's
exactly what I've been doing for the last eight years or so), but I
couldn't publish these tales because they were too long to be short and
too short to be really long.  If you know what I mean."