"knock" = "vagina", 1664?

Jonathon Green slang at ABECEDARY.NET
Sun Aug 6 14:20:07 UTC 2006

Mark A. Mandel wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "knock" = "vagina", 1664?
>
> I asked :
>
>> = "nook"? related to modern "nookie"?

Jon L suggests 'origin uncertain' and I wouldn't argue with that, but my
take on _nookie_ is that it descends either from the earlier _nug_: to
fondle, to indulge in sexual foreplay, to have sexual intercourse
(itself linked to dialect _nug_, to jog with the elbow, to strike); or
possibly from Dutch slang _neuken_, to fuck. The OED,. in case you
haven't looked, is also uncertain, but suggests a link to _nook_, an
out-of-the-way corner, seeing _nook_, I assume, as another synonym for
vagina (although neither JEL, as so far published, nor I have any
examples thereof.)

JG