Ice Cream Sunday (Atlanta, 1895?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 7 05:04:16 UTC 2006

The story about the "ice cream sundae" in Sunday's NY Times (below) is  old
news to me. However, does anyone think that the Atlanta Constitution's  various
"ice cream Sunday" 1895 ads are for sundaes (see below, from
Newspaperarchive)?
_http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/06/nyregion/06sundae.html?_r=1&oref=slogin_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/06/nyregion/06sundae.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)

The dispute dates back decades. The two places have traded occasional letters
 and barbs since at least the 1970s. Wisconsinites believe Edward C. Berners,
the  owner of a downtown soda fountain, created the first sundae in 1881
after a  customer asked him to spoon a little chocolate sauce over ice cream. The
result  was so delicious, Mr. Berners began selling the dessert for 5 cents on
Sundays,  according to the story told there.
However, Ithacans claim the first sundae was not invented until 1892, when a
local proprietor, Chester Platt, served his local priest vanilla ice cream
covered in cherry syrup with a dark candied cherry on top. The priest suggested
 the dessert be named after the day, Sunday — although the spelling was later
 changed out of fear some would find it offensive.
A resident of Two Rivers, Jerry Schubring, 64, a retired accountant, says the
 Ithaca story is nonsense. “Everybody knows Two Rivers invented it,” he
said.  “That’s why we’re all so fat here. We eat a lot of them.”
Two Rivers has a historical marker in one of its parks telling the sundae
story. That is proof enough, residents said. “I think (Ithacans) want us to send
 them some cheese,” Mr. Schubring theorized.
Ithacans have something they think is better— an 1892 newspaper advertisement
 for a new “cherry sunday.” “We have the historical documents and they don’
t,”  Ithaca Mayor Carolyn K. Peterson said.
28 July 1895, Atlanta Constitution, pg. 19:
TRY WOHL'S special peach ice cream Sunday, only 65 cents half gallon.
Telephone 704. Open on Sundays.