rutmus

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 8 01:21:01 UTC 2006

The entire Internet affords fewer than 200 hits for this word, which appears to be of Scandinavian origin.  It designates a dish of mashed potatoes and turnips (or rutabagas, according to some).

  How do I know this?  Because I just fielded a long-distance phone call from a relative who encountered it minutes ago in the intellectual word-game "Balderdash."

  Neither OED nor the online sources at OneLook have an entry for "rutmus."

  The real rhetorical question is, where'd the "Balderdash" people get it from?

  JL