fruneral

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Tue Aug 8 08:35:06 UTC 2006

I've never heard 'fruneral' in British English--and as the only member of
my family NOT in the funeral business, it's a word that comes up a lot.  My
South-Londoner Better Half says he's never heard it either.

Lynne

--On Monday, August 7, 2006 6:42 pm +0100 Nancy Hall <nhall at ESSEX.AC.UK>
wrote:

> Has anyone heard the pronunciation "fruneral" for "funeral"?
>
> There are websites where the word is consistently spelled this way (e.g.
> http://blog.myspace.com/17375928).
>
> One blogger describes this pronunciation as British: "His language is
> full of colourful British expressions. He says 'Fruneral' instead of
> Funeral and 'Birfday' instead of Birthday"
> (http://www.jade-leaves.com/Ceit/ela/ela1_2.PDF). Another internet
> chatter implies it is AAVE: "I think boots is one of the coloreds. I
> wonder if he says 'scrawberry', 'credik' and 'fruneral' too?"

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics and English Language
Arts B133
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN

phone: +44-(0)1273-678844