"from a hole in the ground" antedating

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Aug 8 18:52:36 UTC 2006

Thanks, Charlie.

  JL

Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Charles Doyle
Subject: Re: "from a hole in the ground" antedating

Back about 1993--that is, before HDAS was available--I wrote and submitted for publication an article entitled "The Proverbial Hole in the Ground," which appeared in the journal ANQ 8 (1995): 38-41. It briefly discusses the formula and includes a quotation from 1862:

A Confederate doctor complained about the "miserable nurses" assigned to his military infirmary (those nurses were often soldiers on loan from active duty or convalescing patients), who did not "know castor oil from a gun rod nor laudanum from a hole in the ground." That's quoted from H. H. Cunningham, Doctors in Gray: The Confederate Medical Service (Baton Rouge: Louisiana State UP, 1958), 72.

--Charlie