"pig" as policeman

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 9 23:14:06 UTC 2006

I remember the PIG acronym as well.  It may have been in 1969 or ' 70.

  I do not look back to the '60s fondly.  Does anyone - born before, say, 1956?

  JL

"Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at UMR.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"
Subject: Re: "pig" as policeman

Yes, I remember it very well in connection with the Black Panthers. One =
of their favorite expressions was "Off [=3D kill] the pigs!"
In 1968 I moved to Missouri and a year or so later gave a presentation =
to a Jewish discussion group consisting of university faculty.
At one point I happened to mention that bestiality is expressly =
forbidden, and I still remember one of the participants jumping up with =
a sudden burst of inspiration and declaring: "'Off the pigs' is =
Talmudic!"
=20
Gerald Cohen
P.S. Btw, I also remember a newspaper story in the late 1960's of an =
attempt at one police station (perhaps more) to give a favorable =
interpretation to "pig" (=3D policeman). The interpretation was that =
"pig" stands for Pride, Integrity, Guts, and the sergeant at the station =
had a tie clasp in the shape of a little pig. The attempt to give "pig" =
this new interpretation never caught on, however.