"Spud" as nickname

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 10 00:02:39 UTC 2006

Somewhere I picked up the knowledge that _Spud_ used to be a cliche' nickname for men surnamed "Murphy."

  They both mean "potato," get it ?

  Anyway, this may be an early example. I say "appears to be" because the character's surname is not indicated. But nearly all the people in this book are Irish.

  1905 Owen Kildare _The Wisdom of the Simple_ (N.Y.: Fleming Revell, 1905) 175: What are you grinning about, Spud?

  JL