"pig" as policeman

Evan Morris words1 at WORD-DETECTIVE.COM
Thu Aug 10 04:36:13 UTC 2006

That's not exactly true.  Rubin's "Do It" and Hoffman's "Revolution for
the Hell of It" and "Steal This Book" were both manifestos of a sort,
and best-sellers in their day.  Both did extensive speaking tours which
packed auditoriums across the US.  The Yippies (at the time calling
themselves the Zippies) were still going strong enough in '72 to make a
mess of the Miami Republican convention to the extent that Nixon, et
al., got whiffs of tear gas inside the convention hall.  There were
thousands of young people in the US during this period who considered
themselves Yippies with conviction easily equal to that exhibited by
many Democrats and Republicans toward "their party" today.

Re memories of the Sixties, I was 18 in 1968, knew many of these people,
and had a blast.

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> Memory may be at fault, but it seems to me that Rubin liked to claim that his "political party" (the "Youth International Party," a name coined post-facto) had thousands of of revolutionary members among the youth of America. In reality, the Yippies had no formal political or other charter and no platform except "the Revolution."  To the extent that the "party" existed at all, it was an association of maybe a dozen close friends and partners. I wonder who read their newspaper.
>
>   The Yippies' most trenchant political statement as a party was to "run" a piglet named Pigasus in the 1968 Presidential election, on the claim that America "needed a real pig president."  Rubin made public appearances with Pigasus. After Nixon won, Pigasus was, according to Rubin, slaughtered and eaten.
>
>   JL

Evan Morris
words1 at word-detective.com
www.word-detective.com