Liposection?

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu Aug 10 05:30:44 UTC 2006

>Is this an eggcorn? Google returns 2040 results for "liposection". One was
>even used in the USA Today. Am I missing something? With the entry, Google
>does suggest, "Do you mean liposuction?"
>
>Anyone else heard of this use of liposuction?

I think this is just an error.

"Liposection" looks like a possible word meaning "resection [i.e., cutting
away] of fat" ... looks like it could refer to an alternative to liposuction!

However I'm not familiar with "liposection", and if a so-named procedure
existed one would expect significant Google hits for <<"liposuction and
liposection">>, <<liposection resection>>, etc., which I don't find. Quick
search in a few medical journals turns up no "liposection".

-- Doug Wilson