Liposection an eggcorn?

Mircea Sauciuc msauciuc at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 11 01:14:41 UTC 2006

Liposection has over 600 hits in Google, one even being from the USA Today.

"Surgeon Garth Fisher does not suggest *liposection* to help reduce skin
folds, stretch marks or poor abdominal wall tone." (USA Today)
"Correction, I don't want a *liposection*" (Google)
"treatments of reaffirming, drainage, muscle pains and other alterations
such as edemas, stretch marks and post-operative *liposection* consequences"

Could this be an eggcorn? My guess is that it could be understood as lipo-
meaning fat--as in the original word, liposuction--but with a possible shift
to also mean "removal of". And -section could be the section of the body
that it's removed from. Again, just a guess as to how this error could
occur.

Any ideas on this liposection and its relation to an eggcorn?

-mcs

Mircea C. Sauciuc
University of Kansas