Panther City/Cowtown

William Salmon william.salmon at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 12 21:13:54 UTC 2006

>> One of the most bizarre city nicknames is "Panther City" for Fort Worth.
>
> I suppose the inhabitants (some of them, anyway) prefer it to
> Cowtown,

I don't know. Fort Worthians seem pretty fond of the 'cowtown' nickname.
This came as somewhat of a surprise to me, as I had always considered
the term 'cowtown' to be a kind of putdown. To refer to a town as
'cowtown' was sort of like saying it was in BFE.  Not so for Fort Worth
though. It's part of the civic pride, as is the unofficial town slogan
"life is too short to live in Dallas".

WS