Further Antedating of "Archaeologist"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Aug 13 15:19:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006, Stephen Goranson wrote:

> Dec. 1817, The Gentleman's Magazine, p. 573. Obituary.
> "At Tunis, in the prime of life, the celebrated archaeologist, Count Camillo

Here's earlier:

1786 Archaeologia: or, miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity.
Published by the Society of Antiquaries of London. IV. 16 (Eighteenth
Century Collections Online)  NOT far from _Llansanfrayd_ is the famous
Brecon Meer, or Lake, where Camden supposes the old city _Loventium_
stood; since Ptolemy places it in this neighbourhood, and our great
archaeologist had no proofs to fix it elsewhere.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Collections and     YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS