New cite for "Whole Nine Yards" (1967)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Aug 13 17:11:21 UTC 2006

This is a really interesting find. Thank you.
Right, the Trident Press edition was published Fevruary 1947 and the
Pocket Book
in November 1967.

Can you give more context? (I do not have access to Newspaper Archive.)
If I may
tentatively suggest here: it may be less important where he lived
afterward than
where he was when quoted by Pacific Stars and Stripes, and where he had been
soon before. Vietnam? Ann-Margaret, I think, went there with Bob Hope for the
USO. So far, this seems to support the view that the phrase arose in
Vietnam in
1966 or 1967 (after Robert Mole's 1966 book on Nine Tribes of Montagnards in I
Corps area) among Americans who were exposed to Montagnards being called
"'yards." This new cite helps the case.

Stephen wouldn't-know-how-to-hack-the-site-nor-want-to-anyway Goranson

Quoting Sam Clements <SClements at NEO.RR.COM>:

> I fugure it's only Goranson hacking the search engine.  :)
>
> *Stephen--I mean this in all good humor.
>
> Sam Clements

us found in this outgoing message.