Further Antedating of "Archaeolo

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Sun Aug 13 17:55:49 UTC 2006

(1786, Fred Shapiro ADS-L)

Edwards, John, 1637-1716.
A discourse concerning the authority, stile, and perfection of the books of the
Old and New-Testament with a continued illustration of several difficult texts
of scripture throughout the whole work / by John Edwards., London : Printed and
sold by Richard Wilkin, 1693.
Date: 1693
chapter 1

This new Archaeologist is far more taking than the Leviathan, because he nips
the Bible more closely, and also because he is not (as the other) a Layman, but
a professed Divine, and that of the Church of England.  This makes his
Enterprize so acceptable to these Men; for now they have a Clergyman to vouch
them; they have the Warranty of a Churchman.  I will not question, or so much
as suspect the Prudence of our Ecclesiastical Governors: but in my Judgment, if
there be no publick Censure pass'd upon such a daring Attempt as this, by a
Member of our Church, Atheists will have just Ground to laugh at our
Discipline, as well as they do at our Doctrine.

Stephen Goranson
http://www.duke.edu/~goranson