not Hispanic or Latino

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 14 17:03:07 UTC 2006

At 12:31 PM -0400 8/14/06, Orion Montoya wrote:
>The basic idea is that Hispanics came [to the US] or descended
>directly from the Iberian peninsula, and Latinos came by way of Latin
>America.  But since these identity politics can be either sensitive or
>complicated, it is polite to offer both rather than just saying
>"cilantro-eater" or something.

Hey, does that mean I qualify for set-asides?

LH, an inveterate cilantro eater since the 60's (and yes, I do
remember *that* part of the sixties)

(On a more serious note, haven't there been various political
arguments both ways on whether those who--or whose ancestors--came to
the U.S. from Latin America should be called Hispanics, rather than
Latinos/as or vice versa? I recall some Op-Ed pieces in the Times on
the question a while back, and possibly reviews of books considering
the issue.  I suspect it's a bit like black/African-American,
gay/queer, etc., mutatis mutandis.)