Not an eggcorn--just a mistake?

Mon Aug 14 21:05:24 UTC 2006

Charles Doyle scripsit:

> Last night on MTV's "Room Raiders" (I know, I need to get a life!), a
> participant entered an extremely messy room, which he twice referred to
> as having been "thrashed."  I assume he meant "trashed," but he
> (unconsciously) introducted a more particular image of how the room got
> that way.

Coincidentally, John Wells's phonetic blog entry for Tuesday, August 1,
deals with a possibly related phenomenon. I've had to take out the IPA.

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/blog.htm

In the UK we get not the current series but reruns of old shows. The
programme shown yesterday (some five or six years old) had as one of the
defendants a Californian black man with a pronunciation feature I have never
noticed before and never seen referred to: for the cluster "thr" [in lieu of
IPA -- m a m], as in throw, through, he pronounced a kind of pharyngealized
dental plosive, really rather like an Arabic emphatic t, [IPA deleted]. I
don�t know if this was a personal idiosyncrasy of this particular speaker,
or whether other people do it too. Anyone got any comments?

  <<<<<

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]