Traction? (Was Re: Sudden Jihad Syndrome)

Mon Aug 14 21:11:23 UTC 2006

davemarc <davemarc at PANIX.COM>

>Which expression? I was reacting to Barry's recent post on Sudden Jihad
>Syndrome, coined by Daniel Pipes.

Sorry. I meant "traction" itself. It looks as if you meant by this whole
paragraph that the phrase "sudden jihad syndrome" was a nonce expression in
the original article by Pipes and that the other Google hits did not reflect
any one else's using it. But I haven't seen "traction" used that way before;
is that what you meant by it?

On reflection, I like it as an extension of the metaphor in "catch on".

> With all due respect, I wonder how much traction there really is at this
> point. At a glance, the Google hits seem to consist largely of citations
and
> other references to Pipes's article(s) rather than any other invocation of
> the phrase.

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]