"leaps and bounds"

Tue Aug 15 13:40:20 UTC 2006

No evidence, but something to consider.  The two
phrases have pretty much opposite meanings, at least
to me.  "Metes and bounds" brings to mind limiting,
confining, conservative, set, the setting of
boundaries; whereas "leaps and bounds" brings to me an
image of something that is expansive, effusive,
enthusiastic, even excessive.

http://mail.yahoo.com